<span class="highlight">Dogs</span> on <span class="highlight">Gibb</span> <span class="highlight">River</span> <span class="highlight">Road</span>

Submitted: Monday, Aug 18, 2008 at 22:43
ThreadID: 60878 Views:3568 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Was wondering if taking the furry children will hamper our travels to this region, because of National Parks and the like.

Cheers

Phill
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Aug 18, 2008 at 23:26

Monday, Aug 18, 2008 at 23:26
From memory there was only one station that allowed pets and a condition of this was it had to be on a leash the whole time. Poison baits everywhere.

No pets in NP's or wilderness parks. Many of the private camps also state no pets. Many of the other campers don't appreciate dogs scaring off the birds and other wildlife and leaving their scent around the place to scare off the native mammals.

Leave it at home.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 321232

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 05:21

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 05:21
Whilst you probably love and care for your dogs like children I'd have to agree with Barnsey for the reasons he has stated. Also I was camped at a roadside stop and during the night dingoes savaged one of the other campers dog while it was tied up...so you need to be careful.
FollowupID: 588044

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 06:08

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 06:08
>Many of the other campers don't appreciate dogs scaring off the
>birds and other wildlife and leaving their scent around the place to
>scare off the native mammals.

You mean people don't do that?

Most times the only animals you'll find around regularly used campsites have been trained, by stupid people, to hang around scavenging for human food.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 588048

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 22:32

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 22:32
>>Most times the only animals you'll find around regularly used campsites have been trained, by stupid people, to hang around scavenging for human food.

That is true at many well travelled sites, the crows can be a pest but we saw many bower birds, some bandicoots and a quoll (more in NP's where you can't get in with a dog). The scent of a predator (a dog) would have scared these animals off.
FollowupID: 588192

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 08:42

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 08:42
Phill

Please be aware that there are more 1080 baits laid in Western Australia than there are people in that state. Be very vigilant and keep your mate under tight control.

Our furry friend travels everywhere with us and we have never had problems taking her with us. Yes, you are excluded from most National Parks except for through roads but we can live with that.

Cheers
AnswerID: 321248

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 22:25

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 22:25
Phil,
I haven't taken a pooch thru there, but I don't think you will have many problems. Why don't you telephone a few places and ask them?
Ian
AnswerID: 321351

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 22:58

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2008 at 22:58
Phill

It will exclude you from visiting Department of Environment places such as Windjana, Bells Gorge, Mitchell Plateau. These are some of the best features of the GRR. You may be able to go to the station stays - check their individual policies. We met a young couple with three dogs first at Charnley River station. At Drysdale River station, they had to stay out at Miners Pool, and see Mitchell Falls from the air as they couldn't take the dogs. They went to Kalumburu and spent a few days at Honeymoon Beach. They stayed at Barnett River; although signage now says no camping (like anywhere there are no toilets has now been closed to campers) - but there were a number of other campers at Barnett who 'had not seen the sign' at the start of the track in.

They were not unduly concerned at missing some of the stuff, as they were on a 'fishing holiday' and next time would leave the dogs at kennels to see the GRR properly.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 321353

Reply By: Ford_Rodeo - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:59

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:59
Thanks all for your input. The furry children are coming with us, that wasnt in doubt, just thought I'd see what to expect along the way in W.A. I dont mind missing certain parts or boarding them to go to certain area's. We are driving to Darwin, boarding them, then doing Kakadu, flying to Vietnam,pick them up on return and go to Broome via Gibb River Rd then back across to Cairns and Cape York. So we will be on the road for 3 months and have plenty to see all over.
We just cant seem to stay away from Cape York!! Love it!!

Cheers and thanks

Phill
AnswerID: 321395

Sponsored Links